Sunday, February 1, 2009

Seeking Steinbeck, Finding Party Dude

Anyone familiar with John Steinbeck's work will know about Monterey. This is the setting for the books Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. He thinly fictionalised his scientist friend Ed Ricketts into the character Doc for these novels. Tonnes of sardines were pulled from these waters, and the waterfront town was alive with salty characters.

Of course it was high on my to-do list when I was in California recently. I was excited to see the physical home and inspiration for these great books.

Sadly, Monterey has become a kitschy joke. All fishing has disappeared. Any evidence of Steinbeck has been hosed away and replaced with American Fat-o-Matic Dining establishments. There was literally nothing to see related to the area's most famous son (only afterwards did I realise that The Steinbeck Center was 17 miles away in Salinas)

The day was a complete bust until I spotted this (and click the image for a gorgeous close-up):



This guy was rockin' out with a keyboard guitar and not a single person cared. Except for me. There was no irony in his choice of instrument - his haircut and spotless white trousers screaming 'The 80's will never be over as long as I'm around!' make that very clear.

It was heavenly and, dare I say it, the best gig I have ever seen for reasons no other performer in the world will be able to match.

Steinbeck can wait.

No comments: