Sunday, January 11, 2009

Revolutionary Road - I'm Watching You, Mendes

The novel Revolutionary Road by American Richard Yates was handed to me years ago with a wink and the words 'It's a writer's novel'. I won't presume to know what that means, but it's a damn fine book.

Since its publication in 1961 it has surely been passed along like this many times. I've been recommending it to anyone who'll listen ever since, and had to go to some lengths to retrieve my own battered copy from tardy borrowers.

It hasn't won awards and isn't popularly celebrated like other American classics of its generation. The author's name mostly draws a blank, and I've yet to read anything else he wrote. There might not be anything else. It doesn't matter, as this book contains the smoothest writing I think I've ever come across.

Sam Mendes has filmed it with Di Caprio and wife Winslet playing the leads.

The trailer looks weak. Read the book. Don't see the film until you have.

Next on 'From Book to Film - Pass Me the Valium' is Shantaram starring The Depp. I'm almost too scared to look.

No comments: